Max was a prominent German Jewish historian and social worker. He spent much of the 1930s in Palestine before eventually moving to New York in 1955. In Palestine he was a leading figure in the welfare office for German Jews in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv (HOG), and between 1935-1948 became its general secretary. During his lifetime, he amassed a collection of over 10,000 pages on Palestine. After his immigration to the US, he is perhaps best known for becoming the first director of the Leo Baeck Institute, a research library for German Jewish history in New York.